This page focuses on United Nations press briefings-statements regarding Guinea.
December 4, 2009
Friday, December 4, 2009
BY MARIE OKABE
DEPUTY SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL
UN HEADQUARTERS, NEW YORK
* Asked about reports that the leader of the junta in Guinea, Moussa Dadis Camara, has been shot, the Spokeswoman said that the Secretary-General is aware and following the situation. This latest violence underscores the urgent need to move swiftly towards the restoration of constitutional order in Guinea in a peaceful and consensual manner, she said.
* The Secretary-General calls for calm and reiterates the need to avoid violence and to respect the rule of law, Okabe said. He has instructed his Special Representative for West Africa, Said Djinnit, to remain actively engaged with national and regional stakeholders in the search for a solution that provides the people of Guinea an opportunity to elect their leaders in a democratic manner.
November 18, 2009
18 November 2009 – Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon met today with the members of the International Commission of Inquiry set up to probe September’s violent crackdown on unarmed demonstrators in Guinea, ahead of the team’s visit to the country next week.
Mohamed Bedjaoui, Françoise Ngendahayo Kayiramirwa and Pramila Patten will be in Guinea from 25 November to 4 December, according to a statement issue by Mr. Ban’s spokesperson.
They were appointed by the Secretary-General last month to lead the investigation into human rights violations that occurred on 28 September in the capital, Conakry, when at least 150 people were killed and many others raped.
“During the meeting, the Secretary-General recalled that the Commission should work independently in assessing the facts, and make recommendations on accountability measures,” read the statement.
The Secretariat of the Commission, supported by the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), arrived in Conakry on 15 November and started the work on the ground.
Mr. Ban, when he set up the Commission, said that he expects it should be able to complete its work within a month once it is in the field.
President Moussa Dadis Camara and Prime Minister Kabinet Komara have committed in writing to the Secretary-General that the authorities of Guinea will cooperate with the Commission and facilitate its work.
October 30, 2009
Department of Public Information • News and Media Division • New York
The following statement was issued today by the Spokesperson for UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon:
As announced on 16 October, the Secretary-General has decided to establish an international Commission of Inquiry to investigate the facts and circumstances of the events of 28 September 2009 and related events in their immediate aftermath in Conakry, Republic of Guinea.
The international Commission will comprise three members: Mohamed Bedjaoui of Algeria, as Chairman; Françoise Ngendahyo Kayiramirwa of Burundi; and Pramila Patten of Mauritius.
Mr. Bedjaoui is an Algerian diplomat and jurist. He served as Minister of Foreign Affairs and as Algeria’s Ambassador to France and the United Nations, among other postings. He has also served as a Judge on the International Court of Justice and as President of Algeria’s highest judicial authority, the Constitutional Council.
Ms. Kayiramirwa is a former Minister of National Solidarity, Human Rights and Gender and former Minister for Repatriation, Reintegration of Repatriates and Internally Displaced People. She has also served with the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda as Adviser on gender issues and assistance to victims.
Ms. Patten is a member of the United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women. She has published extensively in the area of violence against women and the rights of children. She is a barrister at law.
The three members of the Commission are expected to travel shortly to New York to meet with the Secretary-General, and will then travel to Geneva and Guinea to carry out their work. The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights will provide support to the Commission.
October 19, 2009
Michele Monstas, Spokesperson
On Guinea, the Assistant Secretary-General for Political Affairs, Haile Menkerios, has been visiting Guinea and the subregion since last Friday, to prepare the ground for a commission of inquiry to investigate the violence that took place in Guinea on 28 September.
The mission left Conakry today for Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, where Mr. Menkerios is scheduled to meet with President Blaise Compaoré this afternoon, in his capacity as the mediator for Guinea mandated by ECOWAS, the Economic Community of West African States.
Over the weekend, the mission first arrived in Abuja, Nigeria, where Mr. Menkerios met with a range of regional leaders, including the President of the ECOWAS Commission, Dr. Mohamed Ibn Chambas, the African Union Peace and Security Commissioner, Ramtane Lamamra, and the African Union Chairman, Jean Ping. The ECOWAS Summit welcomed the Secretary-General’s decision to establish the commission of inquiry and the African Union and ECOWAS pledged their full support for the work of the commission.
The mission then travelled to Conakry on Sunday, where they met with Captain Moussa Dadis Camara, the head of the National Council for Democracy and Development. They also held a meeting with the Prime Minister and his entire Cabinet. In addition, the mission also consulted representatives of political parties, civil society organizations and trade unions. There was broad support for an international commission of inquiry among Guinean stakeholders, and Captain Camara invited the commission to begin its work as soon as possible in order to help establish the truth about what took place on 28 September.