Skip to content

Guinea’s State-Sponsored Crimes 2010: Gov. of Conakry, “Resco” Camara Indicted for Torture – Sekouba Konate Should Be Next

February 16, 2013

rescoSEKOU “RESCO” CAMARA, GOV.  OF CONAKRY

sskonateGEN.  SEKOUBA KONATE, former interim president of Guinea and “wonder boy” at the African Union (AU), where he has just been appointed the AU’s special military representative for Mali

Unfortunately, like most news about Guinea, the followig article lacks critical context about the indictment of the Governor of Conakry, Sekou Resco Camara, for torture committed in October 2010. What was happening in Guinea then? The second round of the presidential election between UFDG party candidate, Cellou Dalein Diallo and RPG candidate, Alpha Conde, was coming to a close and a plan to steal the election for Conde was in full swing.

The plan had many facets and involved the collusion of: Conde, RPG activists, interim president Sekouba Konate, Louceny Camara (Conde’s man on the electoral council), the International Organization of the Francophonie and the government of France. The first step in the plan was to ensure that the election went two rounds and the way to get there was to steal 50,000+ ballots from the only guy who could win outright in the first round, Diallo.

Seeing as Conde would have been lucky to come in fourth in the first round, he needed to amass all the resources he could to pull off a “win” at the end of the second round.  In addition to experts at electoral fraud, he would need extensive state repression to quell the increasingly angry Diallo supporters.

And this is where Governor of Conakry, Sekou Resco Camara, comes in. Repression of Diallo supporters,who are largely of the Peul ethnicity, was in high gear during the second round and Sekouba Konate and Camara were the central figures in meting it out. Konate deployed all the might of the military and security services to do battle with unarmed citizens in the streets. Hundreds upon hundreds of Diallo supporters were swept up in illegal arrests and thrown into jails where many of them were tortured. Camara orchestrated the arrests in Conakry and oversaw the torture.

So, finally, after two years and four months, Resco Camara, is indicted.

And, one more thing. After Conde’s “selection” as president, it is widely claimed that Sekouba Konate contacted Cellou Dalein Diallo and told him not to contest the result of the election because there were several groups of foreign mercenaries stationed throughout Conakry who were at the ready to commit a massacre against Peuls.

Seems like Camara shouldn’t have to go it alone.  How about an indictment of Sekouba Konate, preferably an international one, for crimes against humanity?

Agence France-Presse

February 16, 2013 10:46

Guinean governor charged with torture

The governor of Guinea’s capital Conakry has been charged with alleged acts of torture committed in October 2010, a judicial source said Saturday, in a move praised by rights groups.

Sekou Resco Camara was questioned and indicted by a Dixxin court, on the outskirts of Conakry, on Thursday after prosecutors last year opened an investigation into the case, the source said.

The governor is accused of arbitrarily arresting and detaining several people who were then subjected to “acts of torture” in his presence.

The former head of the Guinea army, General Nouhou Thiam, and the army’s deputy chief of staff, Commander Abubakar Sidiki Camara, are also suspects in the case.

At the time of the alleged crimes, Guinea was led by General Sekouba Konate’s transitional government. Following November 2010 elections, Konate was replaced by Alpha Conde — the country’s first democratically elected president.

Rights groups said the charges were an important step for a country marked by a history of political and military violence.

“This is very good news, carrying a strong message: no one is above the law, not even the forces of law and order,” said Thierno Maadjou Sow, the head of the OGDH Guinean human rights group.

“With the indictment of Conakry’s governor for acts of very serious nature, the Guinean justice sends an important signal in the fight against impunity,” said Souhayr Belhassen, head of the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH).

bm-stb/ln/mm

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s