Guinea Opposition: NO to Conde’s Mtg. 2-12 and YES to Marching to Presidential Palace on 2-13
February 10, 2013
OPPOSITION MARCH 2012: THIS IS WHAT DEMOCRACY LOOKS LIKE AND WHAT CONDE AND THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY ARE DREADING ON WED., FEBRUARY 13
According to its spokesperson, Aboubacar Sylla, the opposition declines Alpha Conde’s invitation to meet on Tuesday, February 12. In addition, the opposition decided to alter the route for its February 13 march so that it ends up at the esplanade of the presidential palace.
Sylla said that while the opposition declined Conde’s February 12 invitation, it will request a postponement of the meeting until after it’s march and other actions scheduled for this week. Most importantly, the opposition will request that, at any future meeting, it be the sole participant. Conde’s February 12 meeting invitation is directed to the “political class,” and, if interpreted broadly, this could mean the entire population of Conakry. The opposition knows from past experience that this kind of meeting will not permit direct dialogue with Conde. Also, the opposition will request a well-defined meeting agenda as well as development of a consultative framework for continuing the dialogue.
As for the February 13 march, the opposition decided to alter the route. The intention is to continue the march beyond the September 28 stadium, past the Gbessia-Conakry airport, and to the esplanade leading to the presidential palace. Sylla said that the appropriate papers have been filed requesting this route change, but there is no word so far. Looks like the opposition intends to speak “truth to power.” Unfortunately, under this scenario, the likelihood of severe state security repression against unarmed protesters is very high.
Information contained in this post, was gathered from Guinean website, aminata.com