Guinea Opposition Parties Want Election Commission Dismissed
A group of 19 opposition parties in Guinea called for the country’s electoral commission to be dismissed before a parliamentary vote after missing deadlines during last year’s presidential poll, said spokesman Mamadou Mouctar Diallo.
“The electoral commission lost credibility,” he told reporters today in Conakry, the capital. He cited the appointment of Siaka Toumany Sangare, an army general from Mali, as interim head of the commission, less than a month before the Nov. 7 presidential runoff. That second-round poll was delayed at least twice and took place more than four months after the first.
Guinea, the world’s biggest bauxite exporter, will hold a parliamentary election in the fourth quarter, Alhassane Conde, minister of territorial administration and decentralization, said today.
“If we want to hold peaceful parliamentary elections in a reasonable deadline, we must appoint new commissioners,” said Diallo, who was farming minister during the transitional government.
Dismissing the commission could lead to delays in the lawmakers’ election, said Thierno Saidou Bayo, spokesman for the commission, by phone today. “Dissolution of CENI at the moment is not the best way,” he said, using the commission’s French acronym.
To contact the reporter on this story: Ougna Camara in Conakry via Accra at firstname.lastname@example.org.