Skip to content

Sixteen Charged for Assassination Bid Against Alpha Conde

August 2, 2011

The following article reports that, in addition to six people charged last week, an additional ten people were charged Monday in the attack on Alpha Conde’s home.  The names of those charged last week follow.  More information will be provided later on those charged yesterday.

Those charged last week are:

1 – Alpha Oumar Diallo says Boffa A.O.B. [note: military rank of Commander]
2 – Baba Alimou Barry
3 – Ms. Fatou Diallo Badiar
4 – Mamadou Alpha Diallo
5 – Alpha Diallo Aguibou
6 – Alpha Saliou Wann

CONAKRY — Sixteen people, including 10 soldiers, have been charged with attempted assassination for an attack on Guinean President Alpha Conde’s home two weeks ago, a judicial source said Tuesday.

Ten of the accused appeared in court on Monday in a suburb of Conakry, where they were charged and remanded in custody, the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told AFP.

They faced charges of “criminal association, threat to state security, murder of a member of the presidential guard and attempted assassination” of the head of state.

They were also accused of illegal possession of weapons and ammunition and destruction of goods and buildings.

Several of the accused are close allies of General Sekouba Konate, who led a transition government in 2010, including former army chief Nouhou Thiam and Konate’s former aide de camp Sidiki Camara.

Six other accused were charged last week Wednesday.

The sixteen are among 38 people arrested after rogue soldiers attacked Conde’s home, hitting it with a rocket and killing one member of the presidential guard.

The other suspects are still being held at a police station in the capital

2 Comments leave one →
  1. Musa permalink
    August 4, 2011 5:22 AM

    The attempted coup was simply an act of desperation manifested by a particular group of people.

    • August 4, 2011 8:19 PM

      Actually, no one in the group which was at Conde’s on July 19th was trying to do a coup or an assassination. The people were there to do light damage to make it look either like a coup or an assassination attempt or both so that Conde could conduct his witchhunt. If this had been a serious attempt of any kind there would have had more people and weapons. If those who have been accused were involved, particularly the military guys, Conde would be dead now and all hell would be breaking loose.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s