Skip to content

Guinean Soldiers Raped Several Women in Labe After Preliminary Election Results Were Announced

November 22, 2010

Guinea soldiers accused of rape amid post-election violence

(AFP) – 3 hours ago

CONAKRY — Soldiers raped women in northern Guinea during violence that erupted following the release of presidential election results, medical sources and family members reported on Monday.

“I know of two women who were raped, who are now in hospital. They said they had been abducted, abused and raped by soldiers,” said a medical source in the town of Labe where the violations are alleged to have taken place.

“One of them was kept captive for four days. The other was kidnapped and raped for one night, threatened with death and then taken back home,” the source said, requesting anonymity.

Idrissa Sampirin Diallo, a member of the Guinean Organisation for the Defence of Human Rights (OGDH) and editor at a local radio station, Espace FM, said he met these women in hospital.

“One of them was kidnapped with five other women by soldiers who took them in a pick-up truck into a building on the outskirts of the city where they were beaten and raped,” he said.

The father of one victim, Mohamed Diallo, told AFP that on “the evening of the proclamation of results,” his daughter had seen a crowd.

“She approached and was taken by the military. She was kept throughout the night, raped, stabbed and wounded, beaten and raped,” he said.

Bano Barry, a professor at the University of Conakry who has family in Labe, also said that after results were announced, “soldiers rounded up women who were sequestered in homes. They took turns raping them.”

Violence broke out after results were released announcing veteran opponent Alpha Conde won the election with 52.5 percent of the votes, with rival Cellou Dalein Diallo coming in with 47.5 percent – citing fraud.

The town of Labe is located in Middle Guinea, a region mostly populated by Diallo’s Fulani ethnic group.

Last week, Guinea’s security forces were roundly condemned by watchdogs for brutality in quelling violence, and for carrying out systematic attacks against Diallo’s supporters.

On September 28, 2009, scores of women became victims of rape and horrific sexual violence when soldiers massacred 150 people protesting a military junta in a Conakry stadium.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s